Do you know how much you earn in a year? If you are earning $40,000 a year, is it enough? Can you live off this? Let’s find out $40,000 a year is how much an hour.
Do you know if $40,000 a year is a livable wage? How much is that in an hour? Is it a good salary? The answer depends on your lifestyle and how you handle your finances.
In this article, you will learn how much $40,000 a year is an hour or a month. Is this earned income enough for you and your daily needs? I invite you to keep on reading to find out how to live on $40,000 a year.
And if this total amount is not enough, I will provide you with ways on how to increase your income down the road as well.
$40,000 A Year Is How Much An Hour?
It’s a smart idea to turn your salary into an hourly pay rate. This will help you to determine if your job is worth your time based on the opportunity cost.
To calculate, a salary of $40,000 per year equals $19.23 per hour. This is focused on 40 hours worked a week for 52 weeks a year, which means 2,080 hours.
Your wage will be a few thousand dollars lower after-tax deductions. If you earn $40,000 a year, you can expect to pay between $6,500 and $9,500 in taxes.
To earn $40,000 a year after taxes, you will need to earn about $50,000 a year or $24.04 per hour.
$40,000 a year is equal to:
- $19.23 per hour, by dividing your annual salary by 2080 hours.
- $153.84 per day, if you multiply your hourly salary by eight hours.
- $769.23 per week if you divide your gross annual salary by 52 weeks.
- $1,538.46 bi-weekly if you multiply your weekly pay by 2.
- $3,333.33 per month if you divide your annual salary by 12 months.
If you are having a hard time with numbers, you can use a salary calculator to easily understand these figures.
$40,000 A Year Is How Much A Month?
If your take-home pay is $40,000 a year, you will get a monthly wage of $3,333. However, if you make $40k gross pay (before taxes), $40,000 may reduce to $31,100 – $33,800 a year, depending on where you work. Your take-home paychecks will be as follows:
- Weekly earnings range from $598.08 to $650.
- A biweekly salary ranges from $1,196.15 to $1,300.
- Monthly average salary ranges from $2,591.67 to $2,816.67.
Your monthly paycheck can also be affected by various things such as the number of days you worked if you get paid hourly, your holiday pay, and vacation time.
What About Similar Wages?
When talking about similar wages to $40,000 annual income, we’re mostly talking about a salary range that varies from $38,000 to $45,000. So, let’s see how much do we earn from these salary brackets. By then, you would have a clear picture of where you stand based on your salary.
How much money do you make every year at $20 per hour? If you earn $20 per hour, your annual minimum wage income is $41,600. That sum will be reduced to about $31,900 to $35,100 a year after income taxes.
What is the regular hourly rate for those earning $38,000 a year? A weekly wage of $18.26 will result in a yearly salary of $38,000 before taxes.
What is the hourly wage rate for those earning $41,000 a year? If you earn $41,000 a year, your hourly salary is approximately $19.71.
What is the hourly rate for $42,000 a year? A $20.19 hourly wage will net you $42,000 per year before income tax.
What is the hourly rate for $44,000 a year? If you earn $44,000 a year, your hourly salary is approximately $21.15.
How much is the hourly rate for a $45,000 gross salary? If you earn $45,000 a year, your hourly wage is approximately $21.63 after deductions.
All in all, at similar wages, you can earn $19 to $21 per hour.
[Related Read: $17 an Hour is How Much a Year?]
Can You Live Off Of $40,000 A Year?
You can live a great life with a $40,000 salary. The most important thing about any wage is to live within your budget. The primary reason people end up in debt, regardless of good income, is that they spend more than they earn.
The four key measures to live with $40,000 a year are as follow:
- Make a budget: You first need to make your budget according to your gross income. To stick to your budget, try to skip the unnecessary items in your budget. Keep it simple and useful.
- Save money: Always remember to save the money first, then invest. You can make a big savings plan by avoiding spending money on unwanted things, like doing things without spending money.
- Reduce your spending: Spend money on those things that are crucial to you.
- Pay off your debts quickly: Paying the minimum on your debts can result in high-interest charges in the future. Try to accelerate your debt repayment.
You have some other ways to make the most out of $40,000. Let’s discuss!
- Track your money– Maintaining your financial health requires you to keep track of your finances. It’s harder to make financial changes when you know exactly how much money you have coming in each month and how much you’re spending.
- Give, save, live – Spend money, save money, and donate money based on the remaining money. That is how most people approach personal finance. The rich or wealthy, on the other hand, do not follow this financial trend.
They decide to pay themselves first. When you get paid, you put aside the money you want to give and save (or invest). You live on the rest. Essentially, the financial pattern should be as follows: give, save more, and live off the remainder.
- Invest– You must make investing a significant part of your financial strategy if you want to accumulate enough money to live off the return on your investments. Now, we understand that $40,000 may not seem to be a salary that will produce any sort of passive income with investing, but that is not entirely true.
Consider this: if you invested $500 per month for the next 30 years and earned a 7% annual return, you will have more than $600,000 million in investments. You can make your $40,000 a year just from capital growth.
You may also check our full M1 Finance review here for your investment needs.
How to Make More Than $40,000 a Year?
If $40,000 isn’t enough for your lifestyle, there are many other ways to increase your earnings. Here are some of the easiest ways to make more money if you earn $40,000 a year.
Drive For A Company
Although this isn’t the most glamorous way to make money, it does work and is very easy to get started. You can sign up for ride-hailing services on various websites and get hired as a driver in less than a week.
With this, you can earn up to $20 per hour for your driving time, but you must subtract certain expenses such as gas and car maintenance.
If you’re already driving around town, driving for a ride-hailing service is a perfect way to make money while doing nothing. Although it won’t make you rich, it’s a perfect side hustle to supplement your gross salary.
Request A Raise
Many people look for this opportunity to earn more money because they are afraid of being rejected by their supervisors. It is important to understand that asking for a raise has only two possible outcomes: yes or no.
Any additional dollar you earn could be used to pay down debt or for retirement savings. So, never be afraid of requesting a raise from your employer or manager.
Get A Part-Time Job
If you do regular 8-hour work a day, you should be eligible for overtime work to earn more money. You can use your weekends to work at a part-time job that will supplement your salary with overtime pay. This can add up to your savings every pay period.
Even if it doesn’t pay as well as your workday job, it’s still a great way to get out of debt and gain control of your finances. You can find a part-time job at your nearby places and have saved more money each workweek.
Here are some part-time jobs suggestions that you can try:
In recent years, the demand for flipping chairs, electronics, shoes, and a variety of other products has exploded. When it comes to furniture, customers appreciate the special character that antique items have and are willing to grossly pay a premium amount for them.
In some instances, electronics can be considered easy and fast to flip. While you might not earn as much per piece as you would with furniture, the lower time-spent requirements allow you to increase the number of sales.
Check the best items to flip for profit to add up to your income.
Another great way to increase gross monthly income is to do freelancing. Freelance allows you to earn a good amount of money while improving your skills. Earners can work as freelance writers, dancers, beauticians, and more. This will increase your salary level and help you grow your earnings as well. This could also lead to a new job.
Here are the best freelance jobs you can try now!
Conclusion – $40,000 A Year Is How Much An Hour?
$40,000 a year is a decent salary, making you $19.23 an hour. However, you have to live within your means so that a proper nest egg will always be available for you and your family.
Regardless of your income is, the cost of living is an important factor to consider when calculating your expenses. Prioritizing financially sound practices should be your main focus.
Learn how to build your finances. Have savings plans or partake in a money-saving challenge, have a retirement account, good investments with long-term capital gains.
Set your goals and make them work, and you’ll see that it is worth it.
Remember the end goal and plan early and ahead so that you can sit back and enjoy life as it truly meant to be enjoyed.
Founder of Spark Nomad, Radical FIRE, Journalist
- Expertise: Personal finance and travel content
- Education: Bachelor of Economics at Radboud University, Master in Finance at Radboud University, Minor in Economics at Chapman University.
- Over 200 articles, essays, and short stories published across the web.
Experience: Marjolein Dilven is a journalist and founder of Spark Nomad, a travel platform, and Radical FIRE, a personal finance platform. Marjolein has a finance and economics background with a master’s in Finance. She has quit her job to travel the world, documenting her travels on Spark Nomad to help people plan their travels. Marjolein Dilven has written for publications like MSN, Associated Press, CNBC, Town News syndicate, and more.