Do you want to read about how to flip houses and make a lot of money? Then, you could use expert advice from those who made their fortunes and wrote the best books on flipping houses.
Aside from investing in real estate, this business of buying a house, remodeling or renovating, and reselling it for a profit has been a lucrative moneymaker for many people, including popular host Ellen DeGeneres.
Do you want in on the secrets of making money by real estate property flipping? You can learn the skill of turning a fixer-upper into a profitable gain from the words of experts.
Aside from the technical tips, these books can provide important lessons about the required entrepreneurial mindset and characteristics to be successful in the house flipping industry.
Let’s go through our top picks.
How Much Can You Make Flipping Houses?
Flipping homes is a business that can make you earn $1 million a year. The business of flipping houses can be quite profitable if you have the right plan and strategies.
Data shows that an average profit on a house flip is around $65,000, assuming that there are no extra expenses involved while flipping houses. However, the profit goes down to $36,000 on a $200,000 investment. The most common expenses are repairs, carrying, financing, and selling.
For beginners and experienced flippers alike, these books written by professional flippers in the market will inspire you to avoid flipping deal flops and make the most profit out of your business.
20 Best Books on Flipping Houses
1. The Flipping Blueprint: The Complete Plan for Flipping Houses and Creating Your Real Estate Business (2017)
Author: Luke Weber (Entrepreneur)
The book discusses the complete process of flipping a house in 12 chapters. One of the key features of this book is the wide range of topics covered, such as how to find properties, analyze the market, make offers, negotiate, find capital, manage contractors, and make remote investments.
2. The Book on Flipping Houses: How to Buy, Rehab, and Resell Residential Properties (2013)
Author: J Scott (Entrepreneur, Investor, Advisor)
The book consists of 20 chapters discussing the flipping house business. It teaches how and where one can find perfect agents, finances, and deals. Moreover, it provides insight into what to consider before purchasing.
3. Real Estate Flipping: Flipping Houses for Passive Income (2016)
Author: Sabi Shepherd (Real estate investor)
This book, rated 4.7/5 on Amazon, is one of the best-selling books from Sabi Shepherd.
It focuses on the identification of the right investment properties. It also provides a brief guide on how you can manage your team and time for flawless execution of the flipping process.
4. Flip: How to Find, Fix, and Sell Houses For Profit (2006)
Author: Rick Villani (Senior Executive at Homefixers)
The best part of this book is its source of information. Rick Villani is one of the most experienced house flippers in the market. His book starts from the very beginning of the process, so it is best for you if you are just stepping into a flipping house business.
5. The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs: The Investor’s Guide to Defining Your Renovation Plan, Building Your Budget, and Knowing Exactly How Much It All Costs (2013)
Author: J Scott (Entrepreneur, investor, advisor)
The book discusses the complexity of rehabilitation plans. Moreover, it tells its readers tricks to estimate the rehab or renovation costs.
This book is a must-read if you want to make extra profits by minimizing the rehab expense of flipping houses.
6. The Millionaire Real Estate Investor (2005)
Author: Gary Keller (Chairman, KWx)
If you want financial stability, this book can help you achieve that. This book includes tips from the 100 best investors in the market.
The lessons you can learn are investing techniques, analyzing the right investment opportunities, and testing investing methods of the best real estate investors.
7. Real Estate Investing: How to Flip a House as a Real Estate Investor (2012)
Author: William Johnson (owner of REIClub.com)
If you are a beginner without any experience in real estate investing, this book can help you learn the basics. It takes you on a journey in the real estate industry–from making your first real estate investment to becoming a millionaire investor.
You can also apply its lessons to the house flipping business.
8. How to Flip a House: 7 Fundamentals of a Highly Successful Flip (2014)
Author: Brant Phillips (Full-time real estate investor)
The main takeaways from this book are how to develop the winner’s mindset, deal assessment, estimating property repair costs, rehabbing the properties, and flipping deals. As mentioned in the book, these are the fundamentals of flipping houses.
9. Flip Your Future: How to Quit Your Job, Live Your Dreams, and Make Six Figures Your First Year Flipping Real Estate (2018)
Author: Ryan Pineda (CEO at Future Flipper)
Are you tired of your daily 9 to 5 routine and looking for the right place to invest your money to start a new career? If yes, do it by buying property and flipping houses with this book guiding you on becoming the best flipper soon.
10. The Real Estate Rehab Investing Bible (2014)
Author: Paul Esajian (Founder and CFO, FortuneBuilders)
This book allows its readers to learn the different stages of flipping houses. The lesson provided in the book that sets it apart from all other investing guides in the market is how you can handle different rehab projects simultaneously.
11. Flip: An Unconventional Guide to Becoming a Real Estate Entrepreneur and Building Your Dream Lifestyle (2014)
Author: Nick Ruiz
Most books discuss what you should do to become a successful real estate investor. However, this book is quite different. It focuses more on things you shouldn’t do while entering the real estate market.
12. A Complete Guide to Flipping Properties (2003)
Author: Steve Berges
Steve Berges’s masterpiece covers various topics such as buying, selling, renovating, and reselling properties after flipping for quick profits.
The main benefit of reading this book is that you will get updated information about soft market flipping, a short-term real estate investment involving buying and renovating properties and then quickly reselling them.
The author uses real-life examples to teach newcomers and old investors looking for additional profits.
13. The Book on Investing in Real Estate With No (and Low) Money Down (2014)
Author: Brandon Turner
Brandon turner is a famous house flipper who always comes up with something different in his content. His book teaches how to start a real estate business without a ton of cash in your bank account.
The main highlight of this book is the creativity of the mind and how one can use it to make creative deals.
14. Real Estate Investing Gone Bad: 21 True Stories of What Not to Do When Investing in Real Estate and Flipping Houses (2016)
Author: Phil Pustejovsky
This book will keep you engaged with its stories if you want to learn about real estate investing without getting bored. The 21 investing deals discussed in the book failed terribly, becoming examples for every person stepping into the market.
15. Building Wealth One House at a Time (2005)
Author: John Schaub
John shares his 9-step strategy to earn a steady cash flow in the real estate market. His book will teach you debt-free real estate purchasing strategies and negotiating techniques.
16. Fixing and Flipping Real Estate: Strategies for the Post-boom Era (2012)
Author: Marty Boardman
Marty believes that there are 4 essential stages of flipping business. He talks about each stage in detail to teach the step-by-step procedure, from acquiring the property to raising capital.
17. The Book on Negotiating Real Estate (2017)
Authors: J Scott, Carol Scott, and Mark Ferguson
As a flipper, the key is negotiating with the seller and the buyer. The book has discussed the whole negotiation process in detail. It will help you learn how to persuade the house owner to sell at a low price and later flip it to the buyer at a high price.
18. Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat (2019)
Author: David M. Green (Real estate investor and former police officer)
As a real estate investor, David writes about how you can succeed in the real estate world in a short time. He claims that using his strategies, you can sell from 2 houses a year to 2 homes a month.
19. Rental Property Investing: How to Create Wealth With Intelligent Buy and Hold Real Estate Investing (2015)
Author: Brandon Turner
Every one of Brandon Turner’s real estate investing books teaches a new lesson to its reader. This time, he teaches how one can find capital and reduce expenses while retaining quality.
He also tells how you can deal with real estate taxes.
20. How to Buy Foreclosure Homes (2013)
Author: Lance Wills
The book has everything you want to know about foreclosed homes and their flipping process. The documentation and converting process are also included in this book.
Inspirational Quotes From the Best Books on Flipping Houses
The authors mentioned above have not only shared their experiences and information in their books but also some motivational quotes for you to remember.
- “Life itself is extraordinary and unique that the only thing keeping people ordinary is themselves.” -Brandon Turner in “The Book on Rental Property Investing: How to Create Wealth and Passive Income Through Smart Buy & Hold Real Estate Investing.”
“Having goals is great–but it’s not enough! You need action, too! You will need to get off your butt and change the world yourself because no one else will do it for you.” -Brandon Turner in “The Book on Rental Property Investing”
- “To be truly successful, you must be willing to assume risk.” -Steve Berges in “The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings”
- “This is a real business, and the people that treat it as such see fast results. The people that treat it as a passive investment that they get to when they have some free time will be scratching their heads and saying “this stuff doesn’t work “…No, it works; you don’t. That’s the problem.” -Nick Ruiz in “Flip: An Unconventional Guide to Becoming a Real Estate Entrepreneur and Building Your Dream Lifestyle”
- “You can’t really make a deal until you’ve found an opportunity, and you can’t really know if it’s an opportunity until you understand value.” -Gary Keller in “The Millionaire Real Estate Investor”
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Best Books on Flipping Houses
What Adds the Most Value When Flipping a House?
Several renovation options, such as bathroom fixes, new flooring and paint, and new lighting, can add value.
Who Is the Most Successful House Flipper?
What Is the Best Market to Flip Houses?
Montana, South Dakota, and Arizona have been considered the best house flipping markets.
Conclusion – Best Books on Flipping Houses
Nowadays, flipping houses is a big business. To jump on the success bandwagon, useful information and motivational stories from experts will surely come in handy.
Whether you are a novice trying to flip your first house or a seasoned house flipper, the books listed above provide practical advice and savvy insider tips that could help you make more money.
For related stories on how to make money in real estate, check out our past articles:
- Is Real Estate Investment Trusts A Good Career Path?
- Groundfloor Review: Is It Legit Or A Scam?
- How Crowdfunding Real Estate Works [Get Passive Income]
Founder of Spark Nomad, Radical FIRE, Journalist
Expertise: Personal finance and travel content
Education: Bachelor of Economics at Radboud University, Master in Finance at Radboud University, Minor in Economics at Chapman University.
Over 200 articles, essays, and short stories published across the web.
Experience: Marjolein Dilven is a journalist and founder of Spark Nomad, a travel platform, and Radical FIRE, a personal finance platform. Marjolein has a finance and economics background with a master’s in Finance. She has quit her job to travel the world, documenting her travels on Spark Nomad to help people plan their travels. Marjolein Dilven has written for publications like MSN, Associated Press, CNBC, Town News syndicate, and more.